CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Memorable Moments

Sometimes it is so hard to sit down and write down what has been happening in your life. I have to be in just the right mood. I guess I am close to it now. I was thinking about the past month and the things that I had done that I were really memorable.
I went down the Salt River in mid March. When I was asked to go down the "Salt River" in Southern Arizona, I pictured a flat sandy barren stretch with a rocky river winding through it. Boy, was I wrong! It was beautiful and amazing. I feel so lucky to be able to see such beautiful creations and to hang out with interesting and nice people. The Salt flows through a canyon as deep as the Grand Canyon in some places. It begins in a ponderosa pine forest and ends in a blooming saguaro desert. There was a place where a spring created a mineral formation which the Indians considered sacred so you couldn't stop there and a lovely camping spot along a creek. We were on the river 5 days with near perfect conditions. The water levels stayed good which was nice since it is a really rocky river and very technical. The weather was brisk on the water but warm when we landed. The fun thing about the river is all the rapids, one after another class 3 and 4. We had some heart racing moments when we had a boat throw the rower out and one near flip, but all were recovered safely.
I returned home to Nathan, Staci and the 3 boys. I love family times together What fun to get to spend time with them. We just don't see them enough. They boys are so cute and I really get a kick out of them. We spent one day at the Childrens Museum with Ashley and her three. The 6 kids are so active and love to be together. We had the best time playing with shaving cream. ( It went along with a cloud theme) It is fun to go to a place where kids just play and you can watch the craziness. There was not enough time though. Staci was spending time with her grandmother and best friend here so I decided to accompany Ric for a short trip to St George to do the Tour of ST George's 100 mile bike ride. We headed down with 4 bikes. Ric was nice enough to take me on a short ride the day before the race in the balmy spring weather. Nate who has turned into an animal rider along with Justin rode with Ric on Saturday while Ashley, her children and I made pioneer Easter Eggs with my mom. We all enjoyed the great weather, swimming, and just being together. It is wonderful that my parents are still so willing to endure us. I have included pictures of the Salt along with the museum and our ST George trip.
It has been really nice this year to have Kelsey staying with us while she teaches along with the bonus visits from Logan. I have had some fun moments with her. I have loved watching Brody, Clay's son. He is the most mellow baby. Even when Clay forgets things like formula and bottles, Brody is cool with it. I love watch Clay and Brittany with the baby. They really are enjoying parenthood.
Lastly, skiing is pretty much over for me. It has been a good year. I got my Ace 1 which is teaching kids. and met some really nice people. We kind of become a family up there and I will miss some of the joking that goes on. Kelsey called me a ski bum but I am really planning on hitting things harder next year so beware.
Now if spring will really figure out how to do spring consistently I will be happier. What is with lying out in the sun one day and having 5 inches of snow the day after. Sorry again to be so long winded but who knows when I will write again.

2 comments:

Geoff

Sounds like a lot fo fun. Especially the Salt river. i'll have to put that on my todo list.

If you guys are ever doing trips like that, and need a safety kayaker, I'd be game to paddle along.

Lee Starnes

I would love to have you come. I will try to get you on when I get invited. Salt was really nice especially since it is one of those rivers that is not always navigable.