CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Buddy, My Valentine, My Ric




My mom said, "I didn't raise my daughter to be running around and leaving her husband home!" and she is right she didn't; but she did teach me to be independent and to love life. I suppose if anyone "taught" me to take off and do my own thing it was Ric and possibly the circumstances of life. I have been lucky that I have a patient and loving husband who encourages me to be a "marine" and be all that I can be. There is no one I would rather be with than Ric but sometimes you have to "Tweek" what you want. Throughout our married life, Ric has been gone a lot (not by personal preference but with work). With one job, the kids thought the airport was where he worked since he would fly in on Saturday, go to church with us Sunday, then leave on Monday, returning on Wednesday, do his laundry, fly out again on Thurday morning, only to fly in on Saturday and repeat the whole thing again for a year. When Ric took the job with CarMax, his 6 months away from home turned into two years with him away for 2 weeks then home for a long weekend. We moved 9 times during our marriage with me selling the house 7 times while he was working at his new job in a different state. He was transferred when I was pregnant with Clay and I had to move in the third trimester and find a new OB to deliver him. Only someone who has been pregnant will know how traumatic that can be. I had 3 busy kids, was sick as a dog, and sold a house during the six months I was pregnant with Kelsey. I had to twist the doctor's arm to induce me so Ric c aneould be there for delivery and arrived home from the hospital just in time to show the house to prospective buyers. Anyway the jist is, with Ric way so much, I had to find ways to keep myself sane (yes, that is questionable but I tried). I learned to do thngs on my own if Ric couldn't be there. Now with the kids gone, it is lonely at home and I try to keep busy. I suppose it would be nicer if I loved visiting rest homes, cooking gourmet meals and volunteering in hospitals but right now I have the opportunity to run rivers, ski, hike, kayak, and travel instead of dusting. So I am on a search and research mission to locate all the places Ric and I can go after he retires or on vacation. I am lucky that he supports me in my love of adventure. He is my anchor and keeps me centered always drawing me back home. I am never happier than when we are off together or I am in his arms. I love to bother him and make him laugh. I appreciate that he loves me for who I am as irritating as that may be. He is always happy and positive. He is my better half for sure. I should log on to "iamblessed.com" because I really am.
So when Mom looks at me worriedly, I just smile and think about how fun our reunions are when I do get home from a trip. ...and I look forward to his retirement or his days off when we are together with an anticipated joy. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY RIC!

0 comments: